The Lodi Whittier Library provides a safe and respectful environment for free and open access to a wide array of services, resources and programs in order to foster literacy, curiosity, personal growth and enrichment of community connections.
The Lodi Whittier Library will provide an essential community service to foster literacy, curiosity, personal growth and enrichment of community connections.
Beth (Buddle) Bevars grew up in neighboring Interlaken on Orchardland, her family's farm. She spent a great deal of time in her childhood eating any fruit that was in season in the orchards! She has fond memories of Luke and Lady, the Belgian draft horses who never quite learned to plow and of birthday parties in the backyard and on the National Forest. Childhood violin lessons led to a Music degree and an interest in historical homesteading and farming led to a Masters Degree in Folk Studies. Beth married a soldier, Mark, and spent many years traveling the country, and the world, as an Army wife. Along the way she enjoyed many adventures including raising Emily and Maggie, her two daughters. Beth returned to the area in 2018 and is thrilled to be the Director of the Lodi Library. Her passion for supporting emergent and struggling readers, especially those with dyslexia, fits perfectly with the Library's mission.
The Lodi Whittier Library was incorporated in 1898. After its original location in Vescelius Hall which burned in 1913, and eight subsequent temporary locations, a subscription drive raised the $1500 needed to build the Library a permanent home at 2155 East Seneca Street in Lodi. This building was dedicated in 1917.
A History of the Lodi Whittier Library on it's 100th Anniversary 1898 - 1998 by Alta E. Boyer Blohm: View Here
By the turn of the 21st century, it had become obvious that space was running out and a new Library was needed to fully support our community. In 2015, the Nelson B. Delavan Foundation expressed their support with an incredibly generous grant for a new library building. In appreciation for this generous donation, the new Library building was named in memory of Elizabeth Garnsey Delavan (wife of Nelson B. Delavan).
Since 1948, Elizabeth and Nelson Delavan made their home on the west side of Cayuga Lake. They dedicated their later years to supporting a wide variety of community projects and programs that contributed to the increased well-being and cultural enjoyment of people in the region.
With overwhelming support and donations, the local community also showed their faith in the project. The combination of the Delavan Foundation support and the support of the community allowed the Board to apply to the New York State Public Library Construction Grant Program for the remainder of the money needed to make this dream a reality.
Once the Construction Grant monies were secured, ground was broken in Spring 2016 and the building was dedicated in the Summer of 2017.